Not sure why, but it was like a zoo at New Covenant School today!
Class of 2014 Valedictorian Miss Rebecca Reiter recently wrote a letter of appreciation, in Spanish, to our Spanish teacher, Senora Kelly Wickiser. It is reprinted below for your reading pleasure, with an English translation as well.
Querida Sra. Wickiser,
He tenido un gran tiempo en Erskine desde mudarme aquí en el martes anterior. A primero, me sentaba sola porque es difícil hacer amigos nuevos. Sin embargo, he conocido muchas chicas, una en particular que se ha ponido una amiga buena. Mis clases acabaron de empezar este lunes anterior y ya tengo mucha tarea. 😦 Pero todo en todo, estoy muy contenta que esté aquí. Corro en un cuarto de ejercicio cada mañana y trato de estudiar mi Biblia cada noche.
Dios me ha mostrado muchas cosas durante del tiempo breve que he estado aquí. Especialmente amo este versículo en Proverbios 16. “En su corazón, un hombre plana su curso, pero el Señor determina sus pasos.” (Proverbios 16:9) Este versículo me da la esperanza y la confianza porque yo sé que Dios está en control y no le importa mis errores. Todo que pasa es un parte de su plan y Dios me usaré que hacer las cosas maravillosas.
De todos modos, mi motivo principal de contactarte es que agradecerte por preparándome para mis clases de español de la universidad. Gracias a tí, mi profesora me movió de español 102 a español 201. Honestamente, pienso que yo pueda asistir a español 301 porque tengo más conocimiento que los otros estudiantes en mi clase. Pero, no quiero ser orgullosa y estoy contenta con mis clases ahora. Así, pensé que debas ser que sin tu instrucción, no estaría en la clase o el nivel de comprensión que estoy en ahora.
Lo siento que mi gramática es horrible. He sido mucho tiempo desde escribir en español. Jaja
Muchas abrazas y mucho cariño!
Dear Mrs. Wickiser,
I have had a great time at Erskine since moving here last Wednesday. At first, I felt lonely because it is difficult to make new friends. However, I have met a lot of girls, one in particular who has become a very good friend. My classes just started this past Monday and I already have a lot of homework. 😦 But all in all, I am very happy that I am here. I run in a fitness room every morning and I try to study my Bible ever night.
God has showed me a lot of things during the short time that I’ve been here. I especially love this verse in Proverbs 16. “En his heart, a man plans his steps, but the Lord determines his steps.” (Proverbs 16:9) This verse gives me hope and confidence because I know that God is in control and that my mistakes don’t matter to Him. Everything that happens is a part of His plan and God will use me to do awesome things.
Anyway, my main reason for contacting you is to thank you for preparing me for my college Spanish classes. Thanks to you, my professor moved me up from Spanish 102 to Spanish 201. Honestly, I think that I could attend Spanish 301 because I know more Spanish than the other students in my class. but I don’t want to be arrogant and I am happy with my classes right now. So I thought that you should know that without your teaching, I would not be in the class or comprehension level that I am in now.
I’m sorry that my grammar is horrible. It has been a long time since I wrote in Spanish. Haha
Hugs and affection,
We have had a great beginning to the school year! Many, many new faces and families have been a true blessing! One thing that is different this year is that our Preschool and our School are both starting at the same time. Thus, drop off is occurring at the same time. For the first few days many families have been arriving early and walking their children in. This is of course wonderful! But as we now begin to settle into our routine, we want to establish our Drop Off procedure.
On Wednesday, 8/27, we will begin our new Drop Off procedure to ensure first the safety of our children and secondly that everyone can get through in a timely manner. You can refer to the rather cute map above as a guide. On Wednesday, Mr. Canney and some of our Junior and Senior students will be directing traffic for Drop Off so that everyone knows where to go.
A few key points…
- The parking lot on the far right of the map (the end of our lot) is reserved for parents who want to park and walk their child in. This is NOT a drive through zone, for the safety of the children exiting their cars and walking to the breeze-way.
- If you want to park, please use the drive farthest from the school to access this lot or use the rear entrance from McConnell Springs Road.
- The drive closet to the school is for parents NOT seeking to park, but rather dropping their children off and driving away. There is NO parking in this area!
- When Drop Off is at its busiest, the rear exit going to McConnell Springs Road is the easiest and most considerate way to leave.
- ALL DROP OFFS AND WALK INS MUST OCCUR AT THE BACK BREEZE WAY. There is to be NO entering either building from the front. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT for us to monitor the flow of your children. The staff who is on duty for Drop Off is stationed at the back breeze way. From the front, there is no staff present and some doors may be locked.
We are looking forward to a great Drop Off tomorrow!
Please be aware of the following:
- Uniform clothing items are available for you to look through in the gym through tomorrow. Please help yourself!
- Starting tomorrow, we will be going back to Friday Folders. Please look for this in your child’s backpack. This will include graded work and important announcements. Upper School students will not receive a folder. Information will be sent via email and copies will be available in the office.
- If you have a student driver, please be sure to complete a permission form. We also need a copy of the student’s insurance card.
- Tomorrow, Friday, Aug 22nd is a dress down day! Jeans will be allowed. Please wear CAVS, NCS or blue shirts.
Coach McClain (center) pictured with some of his players, including NCS alumni Bruce Elder (second from left) and Thomas Settle (far right).
New Covenant School is excited to announce that it has hired Mr. Dalton McClain as the Physical Education teacher and Athletic Director for the 2014-2015 school year. Mr. McClain is an assistant varsity coach for the Anderson Cavaliers football team and a former multi-sport stand out at Belton-Honea Path High School.
For New Covenant School, Coach McClain will oversee the PE instruction for students in Kindergarten through 9th grade. Additionally, he will fill the role of Athletic Director as New Covenant School looks to continue to grow its athletic programs and take advantage of its membership in the South Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (SCISAA).
Welcome aboard Coach McClain! Go Cavaliers!