- Upper School House Retreat
- Family Spotlight
- NCS Athletics
- Barrier Island Field Trip
- Fall Fundraiser
- Denver Downs Permission Form – K4 through 5th grade will be going to Denver Downs on Tues, Oct 9. Please complete the permission form and return to your child’s teacher.
- Anderson Cavaliers Homecoming Tonight! JV kicks off at 5:00 followed by Varsity at 7:30.
- PTO Meeting – Wed, Oct 3 at 8:15 in the Library
- School Photos – Preschool (5 day students) – Tues, Oct 2; Preschool (3 day students) – Wed, Oct 3; All make-up photos – Wed, Oct 3; 9th-12th grade – Wed, Oct 3
- Cavalier Chronicle – Follow the link to view the September issue of our newsletter and see what’s happening at NCS – https://newcovschool.net/blog/cavalier-chronicle/
- SOIL Kick-off – Thurs, Oct 11 – Please RSVP to your child’s teacher.
Our Upper School students had a great three day retreat at the Clemson Outdoor Lab for our second annual “House Camp.” It was a wonderful opportunity to have fun and fellowship with classmates away from the classroom setting and school responsibilities. Students enjoyed a number of team building activities, a ropes course, waterfront fun in canoes and a pontoon boat, and various games on site.
This year our first day of camp was National “Talk like a Pirate” Day so students dressed up like pirates and had a competitive game of “Capture the Pirate Flag” just as the sun went down. Ahoy Matey! On Thursday our very own Brett Whitfield hosted us as we all joined hands and gathered around, gave our honey a swing, and do-si-doed! The boys were a little more hesitant to jump in, but in the end everyone had a jolly good time!
At House Camp, we also had some great times of worship and teaching. Zoe Wickiser and the Upper School worship team led our time of worship and we were blessed to have NCC’s new worship leader, Pastor Jonathan Wisdom, come to lead us one night as well. Mr. Canney continued with our study of the Proverbs and there were many opportunities for small group discussions.
This retreat is a great opportunity to kick off our House competitions for the year and for students to start earning some points for their House. Coach Hege led us in some pretty awesome relay races and Mrs. Wright, our art guru, facilitated each House creating a House mascot. The creativity was endless! Senior Leila Sconyers wrote a song for the Houses that just might stand the test of time.
The House System has been a great addition to our Upper School and has allowed for some fun and healthy competition among the students. The Canney family joined a House this year and with “Canney in the House” it has added a whole new level to this dimension of our school.
Our staff graciously serve as our House Camp chaperones. This is a huge blessing and allows some fun and fellowship with teachers and students outside the classroom. We are all so grateful for the family we have here at New Covenant School and House Camp was a great get-away for us all.
Our sixth and seventh grade students just returned from Barrier Island at the Saint Christopher Camp and Conference Center on Seabrook Island south of Charleston. We had a great time learning about God’s creation, especially as it relates to the geography and ecology of the coastal area of South Carolina. While there, we enjoyed nearly one mile of beach, 100 acres of salt marsh, 200 acres of undisturbed maritime forest, freshwater ponds, and a freshwater swamp called a slough. The students and chaperones lived together, ate together family style, served one another, played together, and learned together.
This year our class activities included walking through the maritime forest, visiting the slough, learning how barrier islands change and evolve due to erosion and sand re-deposition, and a trip through the salt marsh to our mud bath in the mud pit. We also learned about succession in ecosystems and how that affects animals and plants. We got to hold snakes and turtles, we got to examine fish in the aquarium classroom, and we even got to pet an alligator!
We caught jelly fish and crabs and little bait fish using a seine net. While we were seining, a flock of pelicans and a group of sharks put on an aerial show for us just off shore as they were attacking the schools of bait fish in the estuary. We expected to see the pelicans diving into the water, but it was a thrill to see the sharks flying out of the water.
We took a class on orienteering including the proper use of a compass to take directional bearings from landmarks and maps. Every student was successful in following the compass to find the treasure chest full of candy. In our free time we played a lot of 4 square. It was a great trip. Be sure to check out some pictures from the trip below!
- October Hot Lunch – Please order and pay here https://goo.gl/forms/KMTbCLw05P49pEx53 by Tues, Sept 25.
- 1K Cross Country Race – Open to all 1st – 6th graders. Register by Wed, Sept 26.
- SOIL Kick-Off – We will kick-off our fall fundraiser (Serve Others In Love Day of Service), with a chili cook-off on Thurs, Oct 11. Please RSVP.
- Spirit Week is next week! Mon, Sept 24 is Mania Monday – show your favorite team spirit!
- School Photos – 9th -12th grade will have pictures made on Wed, Sept 26. Please make sure your student has their order form with them. Preschool photos will be taken Tues, Oct 2 and Wed, Oct 3. All make-up photos will be Wed, Oct 3.
- NCS Night at Skins Hot dogs on Thurs, Sept 20 from 3-6:50pm at Hwy 81 N location
- New! Theatre Club for 2nd -7th Grades starts Wed, Sept 26
- Spirit Week is Sept 24-28 – See flyer for special dress days. **Students may bring clothes to change after school photos are taken.
- Team Samuel – Support our own Cutliff family and help the Samuel Cutliff Research Fund to find a cure for Mitochondrial Disease – see attached for t-shirt order form.
- Save the Date! Our fall fundraiser will kick-off with a Chili Cook-off on Thurs, Oct 11. We need cooks! If you would like to participate, please contact Mr. Canney (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs. Lamb (email@example.com).
- Save the Date! NCS Restaurant Nights: Oct 18 – Moe’s; Nov 13 – Panera Bread; Dec 10 – Marco’s
- School Photos – Erin Drago will be taking our school photos this year. Please send the attached form with payment on your child’s photo day: Mon, Sept 17: 9th-12th; Tues, Sept 18: 5th-8th; Wed, Sept 19: K5-4th. Preschool photos will be taken on a later date.
- Soccer Shots (Preschool-3rd grade) – The fall Soccer Shots season starts next week! This is open to Preschool through 3rd grade and meets after school (11:30 for Preschool; 2:45 for K5-3) each Wednesday. Sign up online at http://greenville.ssreg.org.
- Student Drivers – If you have a student driver, please read and complete the attached form and return to the office.