- Faculty Update
- Narnia Day
- Senior Spotlight
- Alumni Update
At the end of my Sophomore year my parents and I knew that the Lord was leading us in a different direction regarding schools. My brother and I had attended a different Christian school for the past six years so the thought of “starting over” was unsettling. My parents were praying for God to direct them in making the right decision. My mom received a call from Mrs. Julie Miller who encouraged them to consider New Covenant. Reese and I had attended the same school together previously and we were good friends. I was grateful to know that I would be able to attend school again with my friend. I was also glad to know that I would once again get the opportunity to be back on the basketball court playing for Coach Patrick Miller. By far the greatest experience for me during my time at New Covenant was playing basketball and winning the State Championship, definitely a dream come true.
I am still praying about what the Lord has for me in the future. I plan to work through the summer and potentially attend Tri-County Technical College in the fall. I would like to say thank you to my teachers for helping me prepare for the future and best of luck to my fellow classmates. I can’t wait to see how we make our mark on the world.
The South Carolina Commission for Higher Education recognizes outstanding academic achievement each year with scholarship awards. The most prestigious of these is the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship.
The Palmetto Fellows Scholarship is a merit-based program that was established in 1988. The annual award amount for the freshman year is up to $6,700. The award amount for the sophomore, junior and senior years is up to $7,500 per year. Assuming continued eligibility, Palmetto Fellows may receive scholarship funding for a maximum of eight consecutive terms of full-time study toward the first bachelor’s degree or ten consecutive terms of full-time study toward the first approved five-year bachelor’s degree at an eligible four-year institution in South Carolina.
Students are eligible to apply if they meet one of the following sets of academic requirements:
- Score at least 1200 on the SAT (27 on the ACT) by the November national test administration, earn a minimum 3.50 cumulative GPA on the SC Uniform Grading Policy (SC UGP) at the end of the junior year, and rank in the top six percent of the class at the end of either the sophomore or the junior year;
- Score at least 1400 on the SAT (32 on the ACT)1 by the November national test administration and earn a minimum 4.00 cumulative GPA2 on the SC UGP at the end of the junior year.
For a school the size of New Covenant, we are allowed to nominate the students ranked first and second instead of the top 6%.
This year, we are blessed and thankful to have four of our nine graduates awarded the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship! Congratulations to:
- Chase Harmon
- Rebecca Lamb
- Anna Milford
- Adam Mortenson
We were able to have four because Adam has been ranked first, both Rebecca and Anna have been ranked second in their class over the last three years, and Chase qualified with the alternative requirements of a 4.0 and a 1400 or above on the SAT! WOW!
- After Care – There will be no late stay or after care available next week.
- Field Day and Lunch on the Lawn – Activities will continue as planned on Monday – Rain or Shine! In case of rain, field day will be held in the gym and lunch in C-108.
- Preschool/K5 Program – Tuesday, May 23 at 6:30
- Last Day for Preschool and Lower School – Wednesday, May 24
- Last Day for Upper School – Friday, May 26
- Senior Graduation – Friday, May 26 at 6:30
- 2017-18 Academic Calendar
- Forms Due – Spell-a-thon monies and Lunch on the Lawn forms need to be turned in ASAP
- Final Parent Prayer Meeting – Wed. May 17, 8:00am. Praying for a safe & blessed summer! Please send prayer requests to email@example.com.
- Smart Tuition – Smart Tuition is moving to electronic invoicing. Beginning in June 2017, any family that is set to receive invoices from Smart will receive them electronically, instead of through the mail.
- All School Chapel – Friday, May 12 at 9:00am in the sanctuary. This will be a special end of the year chapel and awards day!
- Spell-a-thon – Congratulations to our spellers! Pledge sheets have been sent home. Monies are due Friday, May 12.
- Field Day and Lunch on the Lawn – Monday, May 22; Be on the look out for more info!
- End of the Year Program for Preschool and K5 – Tuesday, May 23 at 6:30pm
- Senior Graduation – Friday, May 26 at 6:30pm
- Yearbook – Any high school students interested in joining the yearbook staff next year should contact Mrs. Ghany at firstname.lastname@example.org as there is an opportunity to attend a summer workshop at the Governor’s School!
Girls in beautiful dresses and young gentlemen in sharp-looking suits came eagerly to our 2017 prom at McFall’s Landing on Saturday, April 29th. Some even arrived by boat! It was a lovely evening!
This year’s prom was hosted by our favorite jazzy DJ, Mr. Joey Thames! The tunes were hopping and the dancer’s feet weren’t stopping as couples line danced, slow-danced, and swing-danced the night away.
The evening was catered by Mrs. Cindy Robertson along with her team who prepared and served scrumptious food including everyone’s favorite, buffalo chicken wing dip! We would like to give a special New Covenant thank you to Mr. and Mrs. Billy Milford who graciously served our students alongside our caterers.
We were grateful for our own personal “prom photographer,” Mrs. Erin Drago. As always, she did a fabulous job capturing the evening in pictures and allowing us to enjoy the memories of this happy night forever!
If you would like to view more Prom 2017 pictures, please click on the following link…
Thanks be to our Lord for blessing us with a wonderful evening of fun and fellowship!
New Covenant School is excited and blessed to announce that we have hired Mrs. Elizabeth Pearson to work in our preschool as a four year old teacher for the 2017-2018 school year.
Elizabeth was born and raised here in Anderson. She earned her Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood and Elementary Education from Anderson University in 2011. She has been teaching the last five years in 1st grade at a local public school. She is married to Matthew and they have a one year old daughter, Audrey Beth, along with a spoiled rotten dog named Crew. In Elizabeth’s spare time, she enjoys crafting and spending time with friends and family. She is thankful that God has given her this opportunity to teach at New Covenant. Elizabeth and her husband are members at New Covenant Church.
Please join us in welcoming Mrs. Pearson to the New Covenant School family!
Further Up and Further In to Narnia Day, 2017!
Our third, fourth, and fifth graders recently celebrated Narnia Day by traveling to Timms Mill for fighting, feasting, and fun!
As our students arrived, they were greeted by real Narnian characters such as Mrs. Beaver, Miraz, Mr. Tumnus, Nikabrik, and Aslan (He is not a tame lion, you know). These characters were provided as a special treat by Logo Theatre in Taylors , SC. You can learn about this really neat ministry here.
Additionally, our students were taught how to sword fight (!) compliments of Sir Zan from Fell and Fair, along with archery by our very own Coach Lucas, and finally about blacksmithing compliments of Timms Mill. After all our training and battling, we of course had to end the day with a true Narnian feast thanks to Dr. and Mrs. Sconyers and many other parents! It was a splendid day, to say the least!
The Chronicles of Narnia are a central part of our curriculum. New Covenant students read The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe in third grade and then read two Narnian books per year through 6th grade to complete the series. Then in seventh grade they re-read the entire series, studying the books at a bit more academic level. These are great books that shape and form students as they are exposed to the right kind of stories. Special thanks to Mrs. Alisa Lamb for making this great day happen!
Here are some pictures from our special day! Click to enlarge and enjoy!